Monday, December 3, 2018

Lesson #3 - 04/12/18

It hurts :(

So it's been 3 weeks already - wow! My ankle is getting worse. Last week, I skated with makeshift pads for the inner malleolus of my right foot, which prevented pain. I think it has swollen to the point that the pad is no longer useful, because in today's lesson it hurt like hell! And now it's quite significantly bigger than the other. Sad days.

Today's lesson was pretty intense. I finally nailed the pivot to the point that coach was happy to let it slide. Stroking was the same thing but MORE - keep body up, and move foot before placing other down in more of a slow-mo fashion. I think with some practice I can get it. Just need to do less leaning, more bending, less stomping and more placing.

Then came an avalanche of new things *sigh*...

Forward Crossovers:
- Think of it as a type of stroking.
- Stop leaning forward so much!
- "they'll coming along nicely" she says - as I feel like I am a trainwreck waiting to be uncovered.

Backward Pumps:
- Keep the pushing leg's hip UP!
- Feels so weird but apparently will be necessary for back crossovers.
- Can't wait to actually start learning back crossovers.
- I'm going to eat my words aren't I!

3-Turns:
- Finish off the move with leg extended.
- Don't lean forward when leg is extended.

Mohawks:
- Free foot to the instep, leg straight.
- Place down foot and finish off turn with leg extended.
- Don't lean forward when leg is extended.

Bunny hops:
- I actually forgot the technique :(
- I think it's literally just a T-push, bring foot forward ... oops.

Tap-toe hops:
- Weight on one leg, toe in the ice on the other leg.
- TAP the toe, hop onto it, hop onto the other toe and then glide.
- Should be a side-side-forward glide motion.

Waltz jumps:
- I have not yet gotten the legs in the right position for coach so it's hard to say.
- Start with T-position, hands in front.
- Push off onto a strong outer edge, keep free leg at 6:00 turned out BUT DON'T LEAN!
- Bring leg through STRAIGHT, rising onto the toepick of the skating leg.
- Hop over onto the other leg.
- Landing position??? Keep body upright, fingers tight. I can't remember anything else.

There was a bit too much new stuff today, it got hard to remember, clearly :(
The goal for this week is to skate just 1.5 hours so I can rest my foot for the rest of the week, so I'll have to be efficient. Definitely have to work on stroking, tying skates tighter around the actual foot might help haha. Mohawks and 3-turns are coming along well, just need to make sure the lean is not there. Crossovers need work in both directions - just deal with it and practice them even if you feel like people are judging! And then the various hops, I can do bunny and tap-toe to some degree of success, but get used to bringing things around on the waltz. At the very least so next lesson you can be fearless!

I kind of wish coach would start spins.

No comments:

Post a Comment